Stuart Slip and Fall Lawyers
A slip and fall incident can occur anytime and anywhere, including at work, while shopping or during a casual walk. Such an incident can unfortunately lead to an unplanned trip to the hospital and take weeks and in some cases months for the affected person to recover. If you have had a slip and fall incident due to the negligence of a third party then the State law of Florida gives you the right to file a claim and get compensated for the injuries you incurred.
However, it is important to understand that the cause of a slip and fall accident should be valid. Slipping over your own feet doesn’t count or make a valid case. To help you develop a better understanding, here are some common causes that count as valid claims for slip and fall accidents:
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Stuart
- Debris on the floor
- Torn carpet
- Uneven steps or stairs
- Poor lighting on pathways
- Presence of grease or ice on the site
- Missing handrails
- Cracked pavement
- Uneven flooring
- Poorly installed fixtures
- Holes in the flooring
- Exposed electrical wiring
All these causes for accidents show and establish that the duty of care and responsibility towards people on the premises was breached by the property owner as they failed to take adequate steps to make their property safe and hazard-free. If they had taken adequate safety measures, then the slip and fall accident could have been prevented.
Common Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, such as:
- Broken bones and fractures. Also, tissue surrounding broken bones can also get damaged necessitating long-term therapy to reduce chronic pain as well as neuromuscular dysfunction.
- Back, neck and knee injuries.
- Spinal cord damage, which can further result in full paralysis if the damage occurs in high cervical spinal cord while injuries in the lower spinal cord can lead to paraplegia, which is paralysis of the lower limbs.
- Head injuries like concussions and traumatic brain injury.
- Soft tissue injuries, such as minor ankle, wrist sprains, and ligament and tendon tears.
- Hip fractures which occurs 95 percent of the times in such accidents as reported by CDC. A hip fracture requires surgery and weeks of hospitalization followed by admission in a nursing home for extensive rehabilitation.
Slip nd Fall Statute of Limitations in Stuart, Florida
If anyone gets injured in a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness then they can file a lawsuit against them. However, according to the Florida statute of limitation, it must be filed within the span of four years starting from the date of the accident.
If the deadline is missed then you will lose your right to file a claim and not receive any compensation. Thus, it is advisable to hire a Stuart slip and fall lawyer who can fight your case on your behalf and get you compensated for the injuries and damages you experienced and that too in a timely manner.
Determining Liability in a Slip and Fall Case
Determining and proving liability against the party at fault is difficult but important as it affects your compensation. In other words, if you can’t determine liability and show that the property owner was negligent then you’ll eventually lose your right to seek compensation.
Therefore, in order to determine liability against the party at fault, you must prove these 3 elements:
- The property owner owed the plaintiff a duty of care.
- The duty of care was not fulfilled and was breached by the property owner’s negligence, and that
- The breach of the duty of care was the real reason for the injuries incurred by you (the plaintiff).
All property owners must fulfill their duty of care. If they don’t take adequate steps to protect the people visiting their premises and if any visitor slips and falls on their property then they can be sued. Here are some common examples of what duty of care might be for an owner of a property:
- Failing to mop spills, such as on the floor of the supermarket.
- Failing to warn the visitors of an aggressive dog on the premises.
- Failing to remove all the safety hazards.
- Failing to properly secure the poolside area, or
- Failing to inform customers entering the restaurant about the wet floor.
Benefits of Hiring a Stuart Slip and Fall Attorney
After a slip and fall incident, it is first important that you seek medical help and then hire a Stuart slip and fall lawyer for legal representation. At Shiner Law Group, our experienced slip and fall attorney will work on your behalf and make sure that you get the compensation that you rightfully deserve for injuries and damages incurred due to a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property.
Our Stuart injury attorneys will handle every aspect of your case so that you can focus on your recovery without any stress. We will pursue your case aggressively and present it with strong validation by making a record of complete and detailed facts surrounding the slip and fall accident.
Our Stuart slip and fall lawyer will identify the liable parties by carrying out an in-depth investigation regarding who’s ultimately responsible for the property that you got injured on. This will help us establish liability and pursue compensation for the losses and the pain that you have suffered from. At Shiner Law Group, our goal is to help ease your financial burden that comes with costly medical expenses and your limited earning capacity as a result of the serious injuries that you incurred in an accident that was caused by the negligence of a third party.