Home | Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
By: David I. Shiner
“David I. Shiner is an experienced motorcyclist who enjoys riding his bike on the open roads with his father, he personally understands the dangers faced by motorcyclists. In fact, David has rider his motorcycles throughout Florida including on the local roads and highways in Port St. Lucie. And, unfortunately, David has also had friends who were tragically injured while they rode with him. David, an avid and experienced rider knows the issues related to bad drivers who are on the roads in Port St. Lucie. It is for these reasons David dedicates his life to representing the inured as a Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident lawyer and has a soft-spot in helping fellow motorcyclist who were hurt in a crash.” – David I. Shiner, Esq.
Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycles are a great way to travel, especially here in Port St. Lucie Florida with the beautiful year-round weather in the sunshine state. Motorcycles are extremely versatile on the roads, they are undeniably fast, convenient, and of course, maneuverable. Additionally, people choose them because they’re incredibly affordable. Because of this we are seeing that people are more interested in learning about and riding motorcycles as a mode of transportation.
In fact, our lawyers are very familiar with handling motorcycle crashes and interestingly several of our attorneys are frequent motorcycle riders themselves. If you were hurt in a crash then you can be confident that David Shiner, and experienced rider himself, will be able to completely understand your situation, know how to deal with the reasons that led up to the crash, and also have a personal stake in making sure you are best protected legally and have the best chances of making a financial recovery.
Due to the dangers of riding a motorcycle, federal and state government have taken specific measures to ensure the safety and welling being of riders and others. If you enjoy riding a motorcycle or if you know anyone who has been a victim of a motorcycle accident, or if you wish to learn more about riding motorcycles in Port St. Lucie, FL, read our comprehensive guide about motorcycles and potential injuries.
If you love the thrill, freedom, and adrenaline rush of riding a motorcycle or just want a quick and easy alternative to getting around town than before jumping on your motorcycle make sure you are:
- knowledgeable about the motorcycle you are getting on,
- your motorcycle is well-maintained,
- your insurance is up to date,
- you have your helmet,
- you are knowledgeable about the road and the road conditions; and
- the road is clear.
Your friends at the Port St. Lucie Shiner Law Group say this because the thrill of riding a motorcycle comes with life-threatening risks. We believe that you ride safely without putting you or others at risk of series injuries and worse death. Based on current motorcycle statistics, motorcycles are the deadliest form of transportation in the United States. In fact, studies show that motorcycles riders are at a greater risk of dying in an accident than car occupants by approximately 27 times.
Serious Port St. Lucie Injuries caused by Motorcycle Crashes
Riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, a rider must always maintain control of their bike as well as pay close attention to what is around them, they cannot be distracted. In a traffic crash, a motorcyclist and their passenger are at greater risk of injury than those in a car or a truck. Injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash may lead to severe injuries and extended hospital stays, not to mention ongoing medical expenses. When these injuries are caused by the negligence of another party, you have the right to recover compensation, future medical expenses, damages to property, lost wages, lost future wages and pain and suffering. Call the Port St. Lucie Motorcycle lawyers at Shiner Law Group to discuss your options.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Port St. Lucie Florida
- Head-on collisions: Unfortunately, most motorcycle accidents happen due to crashes with other vehicles. Cars, trucks, vans or other motor vehicles end up cashing into the motorcycle from the front, leading to sever injures or fatal injuries to the motorcycle rider. Remember, motorcycles, leave their riders entirely exposed, so most end up leaping away from their motorcycles onto the road, often causing extensive injuries.
- Left-hand turns: Motor vehicles, such as cars, trucks and vans make unexpected left-hand turns leading to unavoidable collisions. The vehicle typically will strike the motorcycle by going straight into an intersection, passing to overtaking the motorcycle. While a typically accident for cars, as well, the collision with a motorcycle makes the accident much worse for the ride, due to the lack of protection a rider has. Additionally, the relatively smaller size of the motorcycle makes the viability of seeing a turn by the driver of the other vehicle less noticeable. Vehicle drivers usually do not expect to see motorcycles in their lanes, so the maneuverer comes as a surprise to the driver which may lead to accidents.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting is quite common with motorcycle riders and can be a common cause of motorcycle accidents. Basically, Lane splitting is when a motorcycle rider drives between two lanes of cars, creating their own traffic lane in between the cars, usually when traffic is stopped at an intersection or during slow moving traffic. Lane Splitting is termly dangerous because of the tightness between the cars which provides less maneuvering space for the motorcycle. Traffic laws vary from state to state, however lane splitting in the State of Florida is illegal. If an accident occurs due to a motorcycle lane splitting, local traffic laws would apply in order to determine fault and in the Port St. Lucie Florida if the accident was determined to be caused because the motorcycle was lane splitting at the time of the accident, the motorcycle rider would be considered to be at fault.
- Speeding and Under the Influence: Speeding and driving under the influence (“DUI”) are a common cause of all motor vehicle accident and half of all accidents involving a single motorcycle. Speeding and DUIs effects the rider in several ways, it makes a rider riding a motorcycle less attentive to what is around them, the reaction time of the rider slower and less effective and contributes to more severe accidents. Because motorcycles offer less protection to a rider than occupants of cars, these conditions help make motorcycle accidents due to speeding and DUIs more dangerous.
- Collisions with fixed objects: Approximately a quarter of all motorcycle accidents ending in death involve the driver of the motorcycle colliding with a fixed object such as a pole, building, post, barrier, or a stalled vehicle, whereas in car accidents this is a cause in only 18% of all car crashes. This is mainly due to the fact that motorcycle do not have as much protection as cars or trucks, additionally seatbelts and airbags help a driver of a car and motorcycles do not have that level of protection.
As previously mentioned, a few of the main reasons’ injuries are more severe and there is more of a risk of death while riding a motorcycle are as follows:
- Lack of steel exterior around a motorcycle compared to a motor vehicle such as a car or truck
- No Safety equipment such as seat belts and airbags, which motor vehicles have.
- Motorcycles are much small in size and thus less visible to a driver of a motor vehicle like a car, van, or semi-truck.
- Motorcycles have two wheels which makes them less stable than four-wheel vehicles.
Why you should hire the Lawyers at the Port St. Lucie Shiner Law Group
After a motorcycle accident, victims will face a days and weeks of recovery, Loved ones may have been tragically lost in the motorcycle crash, you may have extended stays in a hospital or extensive medical treatment and therapy, and there may be financial difficulties due to the lost wages as you recover from your injuries. However, the motorcycle injury attorneys at Shiner Law Group in Port St. Lucie are in a unique position to help. When all you want to do is focus on your recovery our Port St. Lucie lawyers will fight for you and your family.
The Lawyers at Shiner Law Group have handled thousands of personal injury cases and motorcycle accident cases over the last 20 years, we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We will fight for you.
When you need a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle accident attorney, the lawyers at Shiner Law Group are here for you, contact our Port St. Lucie office today and speak to one of our Motorcycle accident attorneys at 772-777-7700 or visit our website at www.ShinerLawGroup.com