Were you recently injured in an accident in Boca Raton, FL? Our experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyers at Shiner Law Group are ready to help fight for your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (561) 368-3363 to speak with an attorney for a 100% free consultation.
You may be entitled to seek compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and more. Contact our Boca Raton, FL law offices to discuss the legal options that might be available to you following your accident. The next steps are very important. Let Shiner Law Group help you with your accident case today.
On This Page
Were You Injured In An Accident In Boca Raton?
Just like everywhere else in Florida, people are injured in accidents on a daily basis in Boca Raton and the surrounding cities and neighborhoods. In the two decades of representing victims hurt in personal injury cases, the lawyers at our firm have a history of helping individuals get the justice they deserve and the money they need to right the wrong. Just like other areas in Florida, we are experiencing locally a substantial increase in the number of people moving, vacationing, and working in Boca Raton. And, with the increased number of people comes an increase in the possibility of getting injured because of someone else’s negligence.
It is not hard to understand that the more people driving on the roads, visiting retail establishments, needing medical care, etc. increases the risk of accidents and crashes that result in everything from minor bumps and bruises to broken bones and even death. There are several recent statistics related to the growing number of injuries people sustain because of the surge of people moving to Boca Raton and the surrounding cities. If you are curious about the types of injuries our local Boca Raton personal injury attorneys handle such as wrongful death cases, motorcycle accidents, slip and fall incidents, and car accident claims please continue to read below and know we have attempted to provide you with the most up to date information and statistics regarding accidents and crashes that occur locally.
Boca Raton Personal Injury Statistics
Here are some alarming statistics related to personal injury accidents:
- In 2017, there were 402,385 car accidents in Florida, including Boca Raton, out of which 2924 were fatal.
- Car accidents in 2017 involved 686,590 people—3116 people died while 254,310 were injured, and 20,380 suffered from disabling injuries.
- Every year, 25000 to 120,000 people lose their precious lives due to medical malpractice.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 4.5 million people in the US are bitten by dogs annually.
- 1/5 of these dog bites require medical attention.
- 1 in 6 residents of a nursing home may become a victim of neglect or abuse annually.
- Seniors who are abused have a 300% higher chance of death in the next three (3) years following the abuse.
If you’ve been injured because of another person’s negligence, you may be unsure of what steps to take next. It can be a scary time, but a injury lawyer can help guide you through the steps of filing a personal injury claim and dealing with the insurance company. Depending on what type of accident you were in and how severe the accident was, you may be experiencing serious ramifications in your life. A personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve.
In most cases people find our law firm because of referrals from friends and family or they searched on the internet for a Boca Raton personal injury attorney near me – however, no matter how you found our firm we will work diligently and aggressively to get you the recovery you need to compensate you for your injuries. And, we hope that after you have allowed our lawyers to represent you, you will not only give our injury lawyers a 5-star review but let your friends and family know you think we are the best personal injury attorneys in Boca Raton.
Victims of these types of personal injuries will likely require ongoing medical treatment, hospitalization, care, physical therapy, and medicine in order to make a recovery. Sometimes, a full recovery may not even be possible. But the damage from these accidents isn’t just comprised of physical injuries. Victims may experience a compromised quality of life due to accidents’ effects on their careers, relationships, and more.
While receiving financial compensation won’t fix every issue for personal injury victims, it can help pay for medical expenses and lost time at work and can help you pay for your regular expenses while you focus on recovery. For this reason, finding the right Boca Raton personal injury attorney is essential. An expert attorney can help you file a claim, represent you in court, and give you the support you need during this difficult time.
Our expert team of personal injury lawyers has the expertise, experience, and knowledge to handle personal injury cases of all types. We strive to help victims get compensated fairly for the injuries they suffered. The Shiner Law Group is happy to offer you a free consultation right away. Don’t hesitate. Calling the personal injury attorneys at Shiner Law Group is your best chance to get the legal representation you need so that you can get compensated for your losses.
A Boca Raton Personal Injury Attorney Can Help With Your Case
Before you get started with an accident injury lawyer, you may be wondering if you suffered from a personal injury that can be taken to court. While you can file a personal injury claim for many different types of accidents, an attorney’s goal is always to help you get the financial compensation that you need in order to take care of lost wages, medical expenses, and the pain and suffering you experienced. Here are some of the most common types of injuries that a personal injury lawyer can help with.
Boca Raton’s population has been climbing steadily over the past few decades, which means there are more cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians on the road now than ever before. And with tourism on the rise too, a lot is happening on the streets of Boca Raton. This means that accidents are becoming more and more common.
A vehicle accident can cause some serious damage to your personal life and finances, with the total cost of a car accident estimated to be around $900 for every person injured. Millions of people have suffered serious, permanent injuries after a car crash. No one plans for a car accident. In situations like these, you can only hope to deal with the financial consequences by filing a personal injury claim. A trustworthy Boca Raton car accident lawyer can tell what your rights are and will help you file a claim.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Florida, like many states around the US, requires property owners and employers to take the responsibility to keep their properties safe and well-maintained. They must be on the lookout for risks and hazards that may cause someone to hurt themselves due to slipping or falling. If they do not fulfill this responsibility and an accident occurs on their property, then the victim has a right to file a claim for financial compensation.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include uneven, wet, or slippery surfaces, poorly lit areas, and obstructions. These accidents can range from minor to severe and can cause broken bones, head trauma, neck or back issues, or sprained or torn ligaments. Our experienced Boca Raton slip and fall lawyers can help get you the compensation you deserve.
Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals have the responsibility to care for their patients and provide appropriate treatment for their medical conditions. When a medical professional fails to provide treatment that meets a certain standard of care, patients may get sick, hurt, or otherwise injured. This is known as medical malpractice. In some cases, medical malpractice can even lead to death.
Patients want to be able to trust their doctor’s care and advice, so when a doctor breaks that trust, it’s hard to know who to turn to. However, medical malpractice is a leading cause of injury and death, and victims deserve compensation for their suffering.
If you’ve been injured after using a defective or malfunctioning product, you may be entitled to financial compensation. A Boca Raton product liability lawyer can help determine if you have a case against the manufacturer of the product and if they can be held liable for your injuries. In addition, this can help prevent similar accidents from happening to others.
Pet owners have the responsibility to control their animals and keep people safe from pet aggression. If you’ve been the victim of a dog bite or other animal attack that required medical attention, you have a reason to file a personal injury claim, speak with a Boca Raton animal attack attorney immediately. Pet bites often need medical care like stitches, antibiotics, and preventative rabies treatment. If left untreated, these injuries can lead to infection or, in severe cases, death.
When someone dies due to another person’s careless behavior or negligence, this is known as wrongful death. If you’ve lost a family member or loved one in similar circumstances, you can file a claim against the party that caused the condition that led to their death. Speak with our Boca Raton wrongful death lawyer to discuss how our team of professionals can seek justice for your loved one.
Nursing Home Abuse
When you leave your loved ones under the supervision of a nursing facility, you expect them to be well cared for. However, nursing facilities can be hotspots for negligence and abuse. When a professional caregiver inflicts physical, emotional, or psychological harm on a resident with a negligent or intentional act, they or the facility that hired them must be held responsible. Our Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyers hold those responsible for the negligence, abuse, and intentional mistreatment of your loved ones, contact us today.
Types of Boca Raton Personal Injuries
Personal injuries can take many forms, and not all of these are physical. Sometimes, psychological or emotional harm can be a result, as well. A Boca Raton lawyer can help you understand your options. Some of the most common personal injuries are listed below:
- Sprains, Strains, and Tears – these painful injuries are often the results of slip and fall accidents. A sprain happens when a ligament in your body gets stretched or torn. A strain is similar, but instead of affecting a ligament, it affects a tendon or muscle.
- Traumatic Brain Injury – also known as a TBI, a traumatic brain injury may be sustained during a vehicle accident or a slip and fall accident. Concussions and other TBIs have a long recovery period and can impair a victim’s brain function, ultimately affecting their quality of life.
- Spinal Cord and Back Injury – slipped disks, and other back injuries can cause serious pain and discomfort. Spinal cord injuries can sometimes result in paralysis or nerve damage. These types of injuries are common after vehicle collisions. Sometimes, victims are confined to a bed or wheelchair permanently.
- Bedsores – bedsores are one of the most common signs of nursing home negligence. When a patient is confined to a bed and cannot move on their own, they must be moved frequently. When someone remains in one position for too long, pressure ulcers form. These ulcers can easily get infected and cause severe pain.
- Neck Injuries – neck injuries are commonly sustained during car accidents and include whiplash, cervical radiculopathy, neck sprain, and more. The force of the accident violently jolts the head back and forth and can cause serious symptoms like dizziness, back pain, neck stiffness, and headaches.
- Broken Bones – car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and other types of personal injury may result in broken arms, legs, shoulders, ribs, and other bones. Broken bones are painful and take a while to heal, and can require physical therapy to regain function.
- Burns and Choking Injuries – defective products can result in burns and choking. If a small part from a toy gets lodged in a child’s throat and there was no warning on the package or an electrical appliance catches on fire due to faulty wiring, the manufacturer is often liable for these injuries.
Remember, this is not a comprehensive list of all the injuries that you can file a claim for. A personal injury lawyer with expertise in Boca Raton can help you determine if you have a legal case.
How to Choose a Boca Raton Personal Injury Attorney?
With more than 130,000 lawyers in and across the US, finding the best attorney for case representation is as hard as it can be. However, the best way to narrow down your options and choose the right attorney is to look at the following: areas of specialization, years of experience, winning records, free consultation, and legal services on a contingency basis.
Ready to Get Started with a Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you or a loved one experienced an injury due to someone else’s negligence, don’t delay in filing a claim. A personal injury lawyer can help. You’ll need someone experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate fighting for you, and Shiner Law Group can help you deal with insurance companies, expedite the legal process, and get your compensation as quickly as possible. We strive to make the entire experience a stress-free one, and you won’t have to pay a single cent unless you’re compensated.
Boca Raton Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions
Recently, the cities in Palm Beach County—including Boca Raton—used National Bike Month as an opportunity to highlight a major source of injuries and deaths in the area: pedestrian and bicycle accidents.
While pedestrians and bicycles make up only about 2 percent of the roadway users in Palm Beach County, they account for about 30 percent of all traffic-related fatalities. Florida lawmakers are currently considering legislation that will require a greater duty of care from drivers who share a lane with bicyclists and pedestrians and attempt to pass them. The laws would also require 20 percent of the questions asked on driver’s license written tests to pertain to pedestrian and bicyclist safety.
In addition to pedestrian and bicycle accidents, visitors and residents in Boca Raton face many dangers in their day-to-day lives that can result in accidental injury, including other types of traffic accidents, premises liability complaints such as slips and falls or dog bites, and defective medications and other products like appliances or auto parts.
If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness or recklessness, an experienced Boca Raton personal injury attorney from Shiner Law Group can help you understand the process of pursuing compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injury.
Below are answers to some questions our Boca Raton clients most frequently ask about personal injury cases.
What is a personal injury lawsuit?
A personal injury lawsuit is a legal claim filed in civil court that seeks to prove who was liable (legally responsible) for the accident or incident that resulted in your injury and also to show the expenses and impacts that you have incurred because of the injury.
How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit after being injured in a Boca Raton accident?
Generally, individuals in Boca Raton have four years from the date they became injured to seek compensation for the expenses and impacts of the injury. However, this statutory deadline can vary depending on the circumstances in your case.
For example, you must file claims involving:
- Injuries from a violent crime, such as assault and battery, within two years.
- Defective drugs or products in either two or four years, depending on circumstances.
- Claims against governmental agencies within much shorter deadlines, following a slightly different claims process.
Your attorney can advise you of the deadline in your case.
How do I prove who was liable for my accident?
Plaintiffs establish liability in personal injury cases by showing:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care. The term “duty of care” refers to the actions that a reasonable person would take in a specific set of circumstances to avoid injuring others. For example, the duty of care that a driver owes to other roadway users is to operate his or her motor vehicle safely and legally.
- There was a breach in the duty of care. The at-fault party took specific actions that violated the duty of care.
- The breach in the duty of care resulted in the accident that caused your injuries and subsequently resulted in expenses and impacts incurred by you.
What can I receive compensation for via a personal injury lawsuit?
Florida allows personal injury claimants to seek the recovery of both economic and non-economic damages. The word “damage” in a personal injury case refers to a payment to compensate for harm.
Economic damages, then, refer to compensation for the out-of-pocket expenses you incurred because of your injury, while non-economic damages refer to compensation for the quality-of-life impacts you have suffered due to your injury.
Some common expenses and impacts that personal injury claimants seek compensation for include:
- Medical costs, including the costs of emergency treatment, transport to the hospital, hospitalization, diagnostic imaging tests, physician and surgical services, prescription medication, physical therapy and rehabilitation, and the provision of assistive devices such as prosthetic limbs, a wheelchair, or crutches.
- Wage loss resulting from being too injured to work.
- Loss of future earning capacity if your injury results in a permanent disability and you can no longer earn what you did before the accident.
- Property damage, such as the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle after a car accident.
- Physical pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress.
- Loss of the enjoyment of life.
If my injuries resulted from a traffic accident, do I have to file a claim against my PIP policy?
All drivers who register their vehicle in Florida must purchase a personal injury protection policy of at least $10,000, which will cover medical expenses and wage replacement after an accident, up to the limits of their policy and regardless of fault
What are punitive damages, and can I receive punitive damages in my case?
Punitive damages refer to compensation you receive not for the expenses and impacts you have experienced because of your injury, but rather to punish a defendant for particularly egregious conduct.
To claim punitive damages during a civil trial, you must present clear and convincing evidence to show that the at-fault was guilty of:
- Intentional misconduct, which occurs when the defendant has actual knowledge that his or her conduct is wrong and that there is a high likelihood it will result in injury; or
- Gross negligence, which refers to circumstances in which a defendant’s conduct was so reckless and lacking in care that it constituted a conscious disregard or indifference to the life, safety, and rights of others.
What is the average settlement for a Boca Raton personal injury case?
Because the unique circumstances of each case determine all personal injury settlements and awards, there really is no average.
There are, however, several factors that can affect the value of your case, such as:
- The amount of insurance the at-fault party has. Insurance is one of the most important aspects of a personal injury claim because insurance policies are the only source of compensation in most cases. While you may sue an uninsured person and even obtain a judgment in your favor, collecting your award would likely be very difficult, as most uninsured individuals cannot afford to pay someone else’s injury expenses out-of-pocket.
- The clarity of liability. In Florida, you can be partially responsible for the accident that resulted in your injury and still seek compensation from other at-fault parties.
- Your income at the time of the accident. Many of the expenses and impacts incurred by a serious injury are income-based, such as wage loss, loss of future earning capacity. Because of this, cases in which the claimant was a healthy individual in a successful career will often be valued higher than those of a young person with little or no work experience or a retired person who no longer earns an income.
- Your patience. It is not uncommon to receive an early settlement offer from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Insurance companies offer quick and low settlements as a way of avoiding a full payout, knowing that many injured individuals will accept these offers. Properly valuing a case takes time. Negotiating a settlement that fairly reflects the expenses and impacts you have incurred and will likely incur in the future takes time. Settlement negotiations can continue all the way up to trial and even after the trial has begun but before the court reaches a decision. Generally, the best settlement offers to occur just before litigation, when the insurance company faces not only the expense of the payout but also the extraordinary expenses of litigating a case.
I was injured at my workplace. Can I sue my employer?
In all likelihood, your employer’s workers’ compensation coverage will provide compensation for wage loss and medical expenses you have incurred as the result of a work-related injury.
Workers’ compensation is a no-fault insurance policy that most Boca Raton employers are required to purchase on behalf of their employees. In exchange for wage replacement, medical, death, and other benefits provided by this policy, the employee generally does not have the standing to seek compensation through the personal injury process.
There are exceptions, however, including:
- Workplace injuries that occurred because of the carelessness or recklessness of a third party—for example, an injury to a delivery driver caused by another motorist.
- Your employer did not have workers’ compensation though the law required it. If your employer does not purchase this insurance policy on your behalf at the time your injury occurred, you may pursue the recovery of damages through a personal injury claim against your employer.
- Your employer intentionally caused you to incur your injuries.
I can’t afford an attorney. Can I file my claim on my own?
Having an attorney assist you with your case provides services and a wealth of experience that will increase your chances of obtaining a fair amount of compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injuries.
However, Shiner Law Group also understands that many individuals are hesitant to accept this assistance, as they are afraid of how much an attorney’s services will cost them.
Because the legal team at Shiner Law Group wholeheartedly believes that everyone should have legal assistance regardless of their financial status, we are pleased to offer:
- A free case evaluation, which is a time for you to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys, obtain answers to your legal questions and learn more about the process of pursuing compensation through the state’s civil court system.
- A contingent-fee payment arrangement. This means that you owe us nothing in attorney fees unless and until we obtain compensation in your case. This enables us to begin working immediately on your case without an upfront investment from you.
Our personal injury lawyers provide:
- A valuation of your case based on the expenses and impacts to your quality of life that you have incurred because of your injury as well as those you will likely incur in the future.
- A determination of all sources of liability and all insurance resources that can be accessed to provide compensation for you.
- Skilled negotiations in an attempt to garner a fair settlement offer on your behalf.
- Timely filing of all court-required paperwork and attendance at all pre-trial conferences and hearings.
- Gathering and organizing evidence and witness testimony that will help prove your case.
- Litigation, including the delivery of opening and closing arguments, the presentation of evidence, and the examination of witnesses.
- Assistance collecting your settlement or award.
Get answers to the questions you have about your specific case from an experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyer from Shiner Law Group. For your free case evaluation, contact Shiner Law Group now.
Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyer Review
Boca Raton Personal Injury Law Office
Shiner Law Group
301 Yamato Rd. STE 4100
Boca Raton, FL 33431