Nobody enjoys navigating traffic jams to work, a nightly event, or a different venue. The price of owning a car is getting more expensive as well. For this reason, people are looking for better ways to get around town.
As more and more people choose to ride share, there has become a dramatic increase in Uber accidents. Generally, you can’t sue Uber if an accident occurs in Florida. However, you may be able to receive compensation for all damages or injuries that happen as a result of a crash.
Uber accidents are different than other crashes. Collecting compensation may be more difficult. However, if the driver was working for Uber during the incident, Uber’s million-dollar umbrella insurance policy may cover damages and other injuries.
In 2018, 58 fatalities were reported that were related to Uber vehicles. If you have been a passenger in an Uber vehicle and have suffered harm in an accident, you will need to seek compensation in the same way as a normal car accident. You will need a Florida Uber accident lawyer to help you pursue a personal injury case.
What is Uber in Florida?
In the past, taxis have been the preferred mode of transportation when a person did not have a personal vehicle at his or her disposal. However, technology has made it easier to hire an Uber driver over a local cab on the streets. At the touch of this app’s button, you can simply enter a destination and expect a ride to arrive at your doorstep. It is important to understand that you are not contacting an Uber employee. You are hiring a private person who operates as an independent contractor.
Florida and other states have regulations on taxi businesses. They must register to operate, train drivers, and perform background checks. Uber does not consider itself to be a typical taxi company. It defines itself as an app that connects drivers with people who need transportation. Since Florida does not recognize Uber as a taxi business, it does not have to follow the same rules.
An Uber vehicle is privately owned and is not maintained by the company. This makes the automobile private. When a person chooses an Uber ride, it is no different than he or she selecting a friend to give him or her a ride.
Florida Ridesharing Laws
In Florida, Uber is quite popular. This company provides billions of trips each year. 25 percent of users utilize Uber for their work commutes. In order to protect individuals during times of accidents, Florida has placed a number of laws in effect. The newest took effect on January 1, 2022. It was passed to align the ridesharing industry with the rental car industry. It states that both types of vehicles must be current on safety recalls and repairs. Also, drivers must meet the state minimum insurance requirements.
Insurance Coverage Requirements for Florida Uber Drivers Looking for Fares
- Primary liability coverage must be at least $50,000 to cover death or injury for each person.
- Primary liability coverage must be at least $100,000 for death or injury for each accident.
- PDL coverage must be at least $25,000 for each accident.
- PIP and uninsured motorist coverage is required.
Insurance Coverage Requirements for Florida Uber Drivers with Passengers
- Primary liability coverage must be $1 million minimum, which covers death, injury, and other damages.
- PIP and uninsured coverage is required.
Uber’s Take on Insurance in Florida
According to Florida law, Uber is required to provide minimum insurance coverage. However, this can be confusing. Uber differentiates coverage that is in place while passengers are in the vehicle over when a driver uses a vehicle for personal use.
Uber does not provide coverage when a driver is not using the app. In other words, the driver must use personal coverage. When a driver is using the app without a passenger, Uber’s insurance coverage is usable if the individual’s personal insurance doesn’t cover the amount of the accident. Uber’s insurance is in place if there is a passenger in the car. If an accident occurs, Uber’s policy is applied.
Are Passengers Always Protected?
A passenger should be protected during an Uber accident. To be sure, he or she is covered from when a driver accepts the business and picks up the passenger until he or she is delivered to the desired location. Throughout this period of time, all parties are covered by a $1 million company insurance policy. Also, a driver’s personal auto policy can be used along with Uber’s coverage.
What to do When a Florida Uber Accident Occurs
After an Uber accident, there are certain steps to follow.
- Stay Calm. To repeat, there are a great deal of auto accidents that occur each day. Usually, this type of event is not expected. However, after a crash, it is vital to remain calm. Acting hysterically will only make matters worse.
- Seek Medical Assistance. The most important thing to do after a car accident is to call 9-1-1 for medical assistance. It is wise to call law enforcement as well. When medical personnel arrives at the scene, it will be determined whether or not further help is required. Police will speak with all parties involved and witnesses as well. The filed report will be extremely important consulting with an experienced Florida Uber accident attorney. This document will be used to assign liability in the case.
- Record Evidence. If you are not severely injured, taking pictures of the scene is recommended. It is the best way to preserve evidence so that you can get the responsible party to pay the rightful compensation. It is advised to record witness contact information as well.
- Document with an Injury Journal. Even though many people may not think to record a diary about injuries obtained from an Uber accident, it may play a key role in a personal injury case. As time passes, you may forget the pain and suffer experienced. Keeping a journal allows a person to document physical and mental hurdles that occurred before returning to a more normal life.
- Consult with a Trusted Florida Uber Accident Attorney. Immediately after an accident, consulting with a lawyer specializing in Uber crash cases in Florida is crucial. Having a trained professional who is familiar with the state’s laws and will fight for your rights is vital. It can be extremely challenging to go against large insurance companies that want to settle for as little as possible. An experienced lawyer will aggressively work to bring you justice.
How to Prove Negligence for a Florida Uber Accident
It is vital to prove that someone else’s negligence caused the accident. Collecting police reports, surveillance videos, witness accounts, past Uber safety records, and dash-cam videos is wise. The only way to recover compensation is to have solid evidence.
In Florida, there is only a limited window to file a personal injury lawsuit. Florida’s statute of limitations provides two years for Uber accident victims to file a suit.
Valuing Your Florida Uber Accident Case
You may not know the amount of money you are entitled to collect. Several variables determine the value of your Uber accident case in Florida.
- Severity of injuries
- Loss of ability to work
- Amount of time spent in the hospital
- Future medical problems
- Rehabilitation time
Even the smallest injury can bring costly medical bills. Also, injuries frequently do not show up immediately during an accident. Therefore, receiving a check-up is essential, and following up with further care when necessary. One of the most important factors used to determine the value of a case is the amount of work time lost. Income sustains a person’s life. Without the ability to go to work, financial strains become devastating and burden everyone in the household.
If injuries are severe and long-lasting, it may become impossible to return to the workforce. The guilty party must remedy this economic hardship. A trusted personal injury attorney can make sure that this person is held accountable.
Although many personal injury cases are settled before trial, it may be necessary to fight in court. Therefore, you must be adequately prepared. Working with an attorney will help you receive a fair settlement. This individual understands how to value your case to meet your monetary needs.
There are instances where insurance companies refuse to pay fair compensation. This is when a trial is required. Often, teaming up with a successful lawyer is enough for an insurance company to offer a more reasonable amount of money. Even if this is not the case, an experienced attorney will understand how to deal with a complex case and prove liability so that you gain justice.
What Damages are Available to Uber Accident Victims in Florida?
A person can receive compensation for economic and non-economic losses after an Uber accident.
- Lost Income
- Medical Expenses
- Long-Term Care
- Property Damage
- Pain and Suffering
- Scars and Disfigurement
- Emotional Distress
- Lowered Quality of Life
- Loss of Independence
Our Team of Florida Uber Accident Lawyers Can Help
If you were hurt in a Florida Uber accident, you might not know how to proceed. It is essential to have an attorney by your side. Our team understands that you may be dealing with painful injuries and financial losses. We will help establish the best case during your recovery so that the guilty party is responsible for your compensation. You should never have to worry about mounting bills during this time.
Uber drivers are susceptible to distractions behind the wheel. Also, they may be tired from working long and late hours. We are ready to defend your rights if this has been the cause of your accident. Contact our office today for a free case evaluation!