Were you recently injured in an accident in Jupiter, FL? Our experienced Jupiter personal injury lawyers at Shiner Law Group are ready to help fight for your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (561) 777-7700 to speak with an attorney for a 100% free consultation.
You may be entitled to seek compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and more. Contact our Jupiter, FL law offices to discuss the legal options that might be available to you following your accident. The next steps are very important. Let Shiner Law Group help you with your accident case today.
On This Page
Were You Injured In An Accident In Jupiter?
After being injured in an accident in Jupiter, FL, that occurred because of another party’s negligence, it’s important to seek the compensation you deserve. David Shiner and the team of injury trial lawyers at Shiner Law Group have represented personal injury victims in Jupiter for several years. Our firm handles a wide range of personal injury claims, including auto-related accidents involving motorcycles, semi-trucks, and other commercial vehicles and multiple vehicles. Our experience also extends to personal injury cases involving slip and fall accidents, criminal activities like mass shootings, and wrongful death incidents involving things like medical malpractice and car crashes.
If you, a loved one or someone else you know has been injured due to someone else’s negligent actions in Jupiter, FL, contact personal injury lawyer David Shiner at (561) 777-7700 today for a free consultation.
Common Types of Jupiter Personal Injury Accidents
In legal terms, “personal injury” refers to an injury that has been caused by another party’s reckless or careless conduct, which may entitle the victim to compensation. Some of the most common types of accidents resulting in personal injury include the following:
- Car Accidents – Unfortunately, South Florida is among the leading areas in the country in terms of the number of car crashes that occur there each year. Many such incidents leave victims with serious injuries; in some cases, they may be left with permanent disabilities.
- Semi-Truck Accidents – Every year, more than 50,000 accidents occur on Florida roads involving semi-trucks, 18-wheelers and other commercial vehicles with more than four wheels. These are among the deadliest accidents that occur on Florida roads. Approximately 20% of these incidents result in wrongful death, demonstrating how high the stakes can be.
- Motorcycle Accidents – Although highly preventable in most cases, motorcycle accidents are another all-too-common cause of personal injury across the state.
- Slip and Fall Accidents – People are injured in slip and fall accidents all the time in South Florida. Although property owners must maintain reasonably safe conditions, they don’t always do so. For example, spills left on floors can create slippery, dangerous conditions.
- Pedestrian Accidents – People on foot are injured by cars, trucks, bikes, and motorcycles all the time. Additionally, they may become involved in slip and fall accidents due to poorly maintained sidewalks, parking lots, and construction areas.
- Wrongful Death – Over the last decade or so, wrongful death statistics involving road accidents have nearly doubled. Wrongful death occurs when a victim dies because of someone else’s negligence. In addition to car crashes, wrongful death often occurs due to medical malpractice, criminal behavior, and hazardous conditions.
If you or someone you love has been injured through a motorcycle accident, car crash, semi-truck accident, slip and fall accident or other situation in which another party is liable, contact our Jupiter personal injury attorneys to find out if you should file a personal injury claim.
Types of Jupiter Personal Injury Claims
Shiner Law Firm represents personal injury victims across a broad array of personal injury claims, ranging from cut-and-dry to extremely complex. Examples of common personal injury claims handled by our firm include the following:
- Repetitive Injuries – On-the-job injuries often involve repetitive motions like typing, pulling levers, and pushing buttons. If you’ve been injured from repetitive motions while on the job, you may be eligible for compensation by filing a worker’s compensation claim against your employer.
- Collisions and Crashes Between Different Types of Objects – Accidents involving crashes between different types of objects often result in serious injuries like lacerations, cuts, crushed limbs, and even amputations. In turn, victims are left with massive medical bills, extensive surgeries, and long-term medical care needs.
- Inhalation of Toxic Gases and Fumes – Our firm also handles personal injury claims involving injuries caused by the inhalation of toxic substances. Thanks to Jupiter’s warm, moist conditions, mold is a serious problem often causing such injuries.
- Injuries from Falling Objects – Incredibly, many people are injured in South Florida every year after being hit by falling objects. Most commonly, objects like fruit and tree limbs crash onto unsuspecting victims from rotting or dead trees and other vegetation.
- Broken Bones and Fractures – Regarded as “objective evidence” of injury, broken bones and fractures – which refer to the same thing – are serious injuries that can be made worse when not treated properly. It’s crucial to seek medical care immediately in such situations, and you should also contact Shiner Law Group for help with your personal injury claim.
- Muscle Strains and Sprains – Damage to a tendon or ligament through a strain or sprain can be even worse than a fracture, and recovering from such injuries is often difficult. Our law firm assists personal injury victims with such injuries all the time.
Regardless of the nature of your injuries, it’s vital to enlist the help of a respected, experienced personal injury lawyer. Although it may be tempting to represent yourself in such cases, people who retain attorneys are three times more likely to secure favorable settlements than those who go it alone. You can contact a Jupiter personal injury lawyer at Shriner Law Group by calling (561) 777-7700.
Four Things Not to Do Before Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Jupiter
A few things to avoid doing before filing a personal injury claim include the following:
- Refuse Immediate Medical Attention – You have two weeks from the date of an injury accident to seek medical care before your insurance company may deny your claim. Therefore, even if you feel “okay,” visit a doctor or emergency room right away.
- Leave the Scene of the Accident – Never abandon the scene of an injury accident. Doing so can give your insurance company the perfect reason for denying your claim. It also prevents you from collecting witness statements and potential video footage of the event. Furthermore, you won’t be able to file a police report about the incident.
- Signing Documents without a Lawyer Present – Friendly and helpful though they may seem, insurance adjusters aren’t on your side – they’re on the insurance company’s side, and their goal is to pay out as little as possible. Therefore, never sign any documents without consulting an experienced Jupiter personal injury attorney first.
- Failing to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney – Without question, the biggest misstep you can make before filing a personal injury lawsuit is not hiring a qualified attorney. Most, including our firm, provide free consultations. Our lawyers have the knowledge and experience needed to handle the complexities of personal injury claims, and they’re not intimidated by insurance companies or their adjusters. With their help, your odds of winning will be much higher.
What a Jupiter Personal Injury Lawsuit Looks Like
With a personal injury lawyer by your side, lawsuits are more likely to bring you the compensation you deserve. Your Jupiter attorney will handle negotiations with your insurance company, handling all of the details on your behalf. Please note that the statute of limitations for pursuing personal injury legal causes of action against negligent parties in Florida is four years; for wrongful death, the statute of limitations is two years.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Jupiter
Personal injury claims in Jupiter vary widely. However, insurance companies have virtually unlimited resources at their disposal for litigation, and they employ a variety of tactics to ensure the smallest payouts possible. Examples of these tactics include the following:
- offering premature allegations settlement to avoid significant liability
- suggesting that you will get a larger settlement without an attorney
- prolonging the civil litigation process to encourage quick settlement
- contesting the existence or severity of your injuries or attributing them to preexisting conditions
- misrepresenting recorded statements
- placing victims under surveillance, including monitoring their social media accounts, to invalidate their claims
- confusing or misleading injury victims regarding their policies and coverage levels
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Jupiter Personal Injury Lawsuits
What is a Personal Injury Lawsuit? What Kinds of Accidents are Usually Involved?
A personal injury lawsuit is a claim filed in court to demonstrate who is liable for an accident and how a victim’s injuries have emotionally and financially affected their life. The types of accidents involved are essentially any that are caused by the careless, reckless, or intentional behavior of a negligent party.
Common personal injury accidents handled by the Jupiter law firm of David Shiner Law include the following:
- premises liability accidents, including slip and fall accidents, injuries from elevators and escalators and negligent security accidents;
- car accidents;
- nursing home negligence;
- medical malpractice, including birth injuries, diagnostic errors, surgical errors, lack of adequate follow-up care and prescription errors; and
- product liability cases, including illness or injury caused by defective products or dangerous medication.
What kinds of damages can I recover from a personal injury claim?
“Damages” refer to payments that compensate victims for the harm they have incurred. They may be economic, involving compensation for expenses, or non-economic, involving compensation for the impact on quality of life.
Expenses and impacts that are often included in Jupiter personal injury claims include the following:
- medical expenses for things like ambulance rides, emergency treatment, doctor’s visits, surgeries, prescription medications, diagnostic imaging tests, hospital stays, assistive devices like wheelchairs and crutches, physical therapy, and rehabilitation;
- property damages for the repair or replacement of a vehicle or other type of property;
- lost wages, including the loss of future earning potential if permanently injured or disabled;
- loss of consortium, which involves damages provided to a spouse or partner of an injured person;
- physical pain and suffering; and
- loss of enjoyment of life because you can no longer enjoy previous pastimes due to your injury.
Do I Have to Go to Court if I file a Jupiter Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Chances are that you will never actually go to court after filing a personal injury lawsuit because roughly 95% of civil cases like these are resolved beforehand through negotiated settlement agreements. Your lawyer will submit a demand package to your insurance provider that includes the details of the case, the types of injuries incurred and the expenses and impacts of those injuries. The insurance company can respond in one of three ways:
- Accept the demands and pay the value of the claim
- Reject the claim and refuse to pay
- Make a settlement offer, which is typically a low-ball offer that serves as a jumping-off point for negotiations
What’s the Average Amount of a Personal Injury Settlement in Jupiter, FL?
Since every personal injury case is based on the unique impacts and expenses of the situation, there’s no such thing as an average amount for this type of lawsuit. However, a few factors that may impact the amount of your settlement include the following:
- The amount of insurance held by the at-fault party
- Your age and where you are in your career because many damages are based on the income you stand to lose
- Your patience through the negotiation process. You may be tempted to settle faster for less. A personal injury lawyer from Shiner Law Group can help you decide the best course of action.
How Do I Prove Liability in a Personal Injury Case?
To prove liability in a Jupiter personal injury lawsuit, you must show that:
- The negligent party owed a duty of care
- A breach of this duty of care occurred
- The breach of this duty of care resulted in an accident that caused injuries
Do I Have to Pay Taxes on a Personal Injury Settlement?
Since the federal government does not classify settlement proceeds as income, you typically don’t have to pay taxes on them. However, an exception involves punitive damages, which aren’t related to the impacts or expenses caused by an injury but rather punish the defendant for gross negligence or wanton disregard for life.
What if I am Injured at Work? Can I File a Lawsuit Against My Employer?
Most employers must maintain no-fault worker’s compensation coverage in Florida, which pays out on these types of claims. It covers medical treatment and wage replacement while you recover, and you usually must waive the right to seek compensation through civil claims to collect it – unless a third party beyond your employer caused the accident, or if your employer didn’t carry the required worker’s compensation coverage at the time of your injury.
I Can’t Afford a Lawyer; Is It Okay to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Myself?
It’s normal and understandable for the potential costs of retaining legal representation to make you reluctant to do so. However, Shiner Law Group is happy to offer free case evaluations, where you can sit down with an experienced Jupiter personal injury lawyer to discuss your options with no obligation. Our firm also offers contingent-fee payment arrangements, wherein you don’t owe us a dime until we achieve a favorable outcome in your case.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer in Jupiter Can Help
For more than 15 years, Shiner Law Group has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for thousands of personal injury victims and their families. Our firm pursues a broad array of damages spanning the entire spectrum of personal injury litigation, holding at-fault parties accountable and securing the financial compensation you are owed. We adhere to the highest level of legal ethics while aggressively pursuing optimal outcomes for our clients. Our team focuses on the legal complexities of your lawsuit while you concentrate on what matters: achieving a full recovery.
Contacting a Jupiter Personal Injury Attorney Near Me
If you’ve been injured because of someone else’s negligence in Jupiter, FL, it’s crucial to hold them accountable. Time is of the essence in these cases, so contact Shiner Law Group today by calling (561) 777-7700 or by completing our online case evaluation form.