Accidental Fall Deaths Nearly Doubled
Every day, 74 Americans die from accidental falls. A frightening report by the Centers for Disease and Prevention found the number of senior citizens who die, from injuries related to their fall, has doubled in the past ten years.
Your Palm Beach County personal injury attorneys understand the severe physical injuries and emotional trauma caused by slip and fall accidents first-hand. More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling. Falls are also the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries.
The CDC’s new report found one in four older adults reported falling, a total of nearly 29 million falls in 2014. This number has nearly doubled over the past ten years mostly because of baby boomers getting older. With the ‘over 65’ population expected to more than double over the next 15 years, by 2030, the number of falling injuries is expected to drastically increase from 29 million to nearly 49 million.
Avoid becoming a statistic. Some slip and falls can be prevented by taking these steps at home:
- Avoid small throw rugs or use double-sided to keep the rugs in place.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and shower.
- Remove loose items (shoes, clothes, belongings) from high-traffic areas like hallways and stairs
- Install handrails on all staircases
- Keep your shoes on inside, avoid walking around home in socks and slippers.
- Avoid placing items in hard-to-reach cabinets. Do not use step stools. Store items within an arms-length reach.
Outside the home, slip and falls can happen just as suddenly, without warning. Due to Florida’s frequent downpours, the vast majority of slip and fall accidents that occur in Florida are caused by puddles. Injuries can also be caused by liquids like cleaning products or uneven flooring.
If you’ve been hurt by someone else’s negligence in maintaining their premises, our Palm Beach County personal injury attorneys and professionals will work relentlessly to get you full compensated for physical, financial and emotional injuries. Slip and fall accident victims deserve an attorney who fights for their rights. Call Shiner Law Group now at (561) 777-7700 for a free case evaluation.