BOCA RATON TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY LAWYERS
Did Your Loved One Suffer A Traumatic Brain Injury in Boca Raton?
A traumatic brain injury (“TBI”) may prove to be the most debilitating and dangerous of all catastrophic injuries. A single blow to the head can leave a person permanently disabled or worse. In other situations, the harm may be done but the consequences are not known until days, weeks, or months later.
If you or a loved one has suffered a head injury, you should contact our Boca Raton brain injury attorneys from Shiner Law Group today. Our team of legal professionals are ready to pursue your claim and fight for your rights; you can rest easy when your case is in our hands.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
An important part of a brain injury claim is knowing what actually caused the injury. Without being able to pinpoint a specific incident or accident, it may be difficult to substantiate your claim to the point where it is ready for filing and/or presenting to a court. However, you can work closely with our injury lawyers during a free initial consultation to discuss the events that led up to your brain injury, and we may be able to figure out the cause and the persons liable for your injury.
Traumatic Brain Injuries TBIs are often caused by one of four occurrences:
- Blunt force trauma: Slipping and landing on your head, or being struck on the head, can cause a brain injury immediately. Falling objects around unsafe work zones may pose significant threats of blunt force trauma to workers or those in the area.
- Shockwaves: Violent shockwaves that literally rattle the brain within the skull, such as those experienced in a car accident or when near a powerful explosion, can cause concussions and cerebral bruising or hemorrhaging.
- Oxygen deprivation: Drowning, suffocation, choking, and any other incident that prevents oxygen from reaching the brain for a short amount of time can cause lifelong brain damage.
- Dangerous medications: Prescription drugs that have not been thoroughly tested within controlled environments may pose serious health hazards, including brain damage, to consumers and patients.
Symptoms And Consequences of a TBI Traumatic Brain Injury
How a traumatic brain injury affects a person is largely unpredictable, but the end results are often catastrophic, life-threatening, and permanent. Some people who are struck on the head, for example, could be rendered unconscious; others who suffer the same blow may only develop a headache or cranial contusion. In either situation, immediate medical attention should be administered to diagnose and identify the true extent of the injury before it worsens.
Some symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injuriesw you should be able to recognize are:
- Spells of dizziness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Reduced hearing or vision acuity
- Uncharacteristic migraines
- Tingling in extremities or limbs
- Insomnia, or sleeping too much
- Inexplicable mood swings
If you or someone you know is exhibiting any of the aforementioned symptoms after being in an accident of any kind, please consult with your trusted medical physician as soon as possible. A brain injury could be the source. If untreated or undiagnosed, it may worsen rapidly and cause severe consequences.
A brain injury can cause severe health complications, including:
- Comatose, or a state of vegetation
- Complete and irreversible memory loss
- Total loss of motor control
- Blindness or deafness
In a worst case scenario, a brain injury could cause immediate or eventual death; surviving family members or loved ones would be responsible for filing a wrongful death lawsuit following such an event.
Safety Tips for Preventing Trumatic Brain Injuries TBIs
At Shiner Law Group, our Boca Raton traumatic brain injury attorneys take pride in representing and advocating on behalf of the wrongfully injured. That said, we would much rather our clients be safe and sound, never needing our legal advocacy for a brain injury case; this notion may describe an ideal world, but there are ways that we can all help prevent and avoid traumatic brain injuries.
Keep these safety tips in mind to help stop TBIs from occurring:
- Helmet safety: If an activity requires a helmet, wear it and insist that your friends and family wear their helmets as well. Young children are more susceptible to head injuries and should not play sports or participate in other outdoor activities without a properly fitted helmet. TBIs caused by motorcycle accidents may have been prevented in many cases with just the use of a motorcycle helmet.
- Pool safety: While the ocean may seem dangerous and untamed, most drowning incidents actually occur in pools. All children should be closely supervised at all times. Do not allow anyone to swim alone if they are not a strong swimmer. Pools should also be enclosed with a gate or fence when not in use.
- Driving safety: Seatbelts save lives by preventing serious head injuries during car accidents. Buckle up each time you enter a car; do not drive anywhere if any of your passengers are not buckled up as well. Safety is everyone’s responsibility.
Compensation You Should Pursue For Traumatic Brain Injuries
Evaluating how much a traumatic brain injury will actually cost you is a critical yet intricate part of your case. Generally, initial medical bills are not sufficient to fully understand the extent of your damages. Even a mild brain injury could require years of rehabilitation and set you back tens of thousands of dollars. Before accepting any initial offers from the liable party, you should first discuss your options and needs with your brain injury lawyer from the Shiner Law Group.
Your case should pursue compensation that helps pay for:
- Emergency medical costs
- Rehabilitation therapy sessions
- Lost wages and missed job opportunities
- Reduced standard of living
- Property repair, if applicable
- Emotional suffering (nominal damages)
If it can be determined that some sort of criminal action led to your injury, such as a drunk driver crashing into you, the court may reward you with punitive damages as well. Punitive damages are often set by the court with the unique purpose of punishing the criminal offender or wrongdoer for his/her negligence or recklessness.
Hiring a Boca Raton Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
After suffering a traumatic brain injury at no fault of your own, your main focus should be on resting and recuperating. Our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers are dedicated to handling as much of your case as possible so that you feel no extra stress or discomfort. While handling your case, we will make certain you are not left in the dark and inform you of all noteworthy developments; or, if you prefer to leave it entirely to us, we can do that for you too. Everything we do comes down to making certain you are satisfied with our legal services.