Were you recently injured in a motorcycle accident in Jupiter, FL? Our experienced Jupiter motorcycle accident lawyers at Shiner Law Group are ready to help fight for your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (561) 777-7700 to speak with an attorney for a 100% free consultation.
You may be entitled to seek compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and more. Contact our Jupiter, FL law offices to discuss the legal options that might be available to you following your motorcycle accident. The next steps are very important. Let Shiner Law Group help you with your motorcycle accident case today.
Table of Contents
Were you involved in a motorcycle accident in Jupiter?
As the population of Palm Beach County continues to grow, the prevalence of motor vehicle accidents grows along with it. Accidents involving motorcycles are no exception. In 2018 alone, nearly 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in accidents across the U.S. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Jupiter, FL, you’re not alone – and you have rights. By retaining an experienced and skilled motorcycle accident lawyer, you take steps to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you are owed. A Jupiter motorcycle accident lawyer from Shiner Law Group can help.
Our firm consists of a team of skilled personal injury lawyers with extensive experience assisting motorcycle accident victims with their claims. We understand the unique factors that accompany such claims, including the unfair misconceptions commonly held about riding enthusiasts and the aggressive tactics employed by insurance companies to prevent victims from obtaining fair compensation for their losses. In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident caused by another person’s negligence, leaving you injured, our team of attorneys can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering and more. Call us today at (561) 777-7700 to discuss your legal options.
How a Jupiter Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
In the wake of a motorcycle accident, motorcyclists usually require emergency transportation to local hospitals for treatment. As a result, police responding to the scene tend to rely mainly on the other driver and the other occupants of their vehicle to assess the situation. Negligent parties often portray motorcyclists as risk-taking daredevils, resulting in police reports that are clearly slanted against them.
At Shiner Law Group, we are all too familiar with such issues. Our motorcycle accident attorneys have more than 15 years of experience protecting the rights of motorcyclists who have been injured or killed because of other motorists’ negligence. They understand the unfair stereotypes used to strip away at the rights of law-abiding riding enthusiasts, and these insights make them powerful advocates for anyone injured while operating a motorcycle in Jupiter, FL.
Our talented Jupiter motorcycle accident lawyers are experienced litigators who take pride in providing impeccable customer service to their clients. These knowledgeable attorneys serve as powerful advocates for victims of motorcycle accidents, representing them through the claims process to successful outcomes. Every step of the way, they keep clients informed of what is happening with their cases, reducing the stress that goes along with such traumatic incidents.
The Jupiter motorcycle accident attorneys of Shiner Law Group adhere to the highest legal ethical standards. Through the years, our firm has been awarded numerous prestigious accolades, including the following:
- Listings in Best Lawyers in America and SuperLawyers
- A Perfect 10.0 Superb Rating by AVVO
- Awarded AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Seeking a Jupiter Motorcycle Accident Lawyer For Help
When seeking legal representation after being injured in a Jupiter motorcycle accident, it’s crucial to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer who understands the unique needs of motorcyclists. The “outlaw motorcycle rider” concept is long outdated, but that doesn’t stop negligent parties from relying on those old stereotypes to thwart victims’ efforts from obtaining fair compensation. Like many motorcycle enthusiasts, you probably ride for all kinds of reasons, including for fuel efficiency, for environmental benefits and just for the fun and excitement of it. Using a motorcycle doesn’t mean that you’re an outlaw out there taking risks and putting others in danger.
The attorneys at Shiner Law Group understand these points and are therefore uniquely qualified to assist you with obtaining the full compensation that you’re owed following a motorcycle accident in Jupiter, FL. We understand that motorcyclists face unique risks while on area roadways due to motorcycles’ handling and stability limitations, among other issues. Unfortunately, motorcycle riders face a much higher risk of catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. All too often, the accidents they are involved in are directly caused by other people’s negligence.
What to Do After Being Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Jupiter, FL
After being involved in a motorcycle accident, the first thing to do is to seek medical attention – even if you think you are okay. Many injuries, particularly head injuries, don’t come fully to light until well after the incident. Before doing anything else, then, have yourself checked out by a medical professional.
Next, call the police. The sooner they can get to the scene, the better. As noted previously, you may be whisked away from the scene before the police arrive, allowing the other driver to portray you as a reckless outlaw unfairly. This is beyond your control, but retaining an experienced Jupiter motorcycle injury lawyer as soon as possible is the best way to proceed.
Some other things to do in the immediate aftermath of a motorcycle crash include the following:
- Get contact information from the other parties and any witnesses at the scene, including phone numbers, insurance information and license plate numbers.
- Take photos of the scene. Photos taken immediately after an accident are more valuable than those taken later.
- Don’t discuss the claim with anyone, including other drivers and insurance company representatives. Remember that anything you say can be taken as an admission of guilt and can negatively impact your ability to obtain full compensation for your losses.
- Don’t talk about the incident on social media. In fact, stay off of social media entirely for the time being.
- Contact a skilled Jupiter motorcycle accident lawyer specializing in motorcycle accident claims. Don’t accept or even consider any settlement offers from insurance companies until you have done so.
Common Traffic Violations That Cause Jupiter Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders are often involved in serious accidents through no fault of their own. Often, other drivers violate traffic laws, causing serious injuries and even wrongful death to motorcyclists on Jupiter roads.
Examples of negligent actions by motorists that cause motorcycle accidents include the following:
- distracted driving
- illegal left turns
- running red lights and stop signs
- exceeding the speed limit or driving at speeds that are unsafe for current conditions
- unsafe lane changes
- texting while driving
- unsafe passing
- driving under the influence
Injured motorcyclists can seek compensation when other drivers fail to exercise reasonable care behind the wheel, causing accidents with motorcycles. If it can be shown that the other party violated safety laws, this can be used as a “legal shortcut” to demonstrate liability.
According to the doctrine of negligence per se, a legal standard, it is easier to establish negligence when one party violates laws designed to protect the public. Here’s an example of how Shiner Law Group may use negligence per se while representing a motorcycle accident victim: A motorcyclist drives through an intersection, having the right-of-way because of a green light. An oncoming motorist turns left through a red arrow light, hitting the motorcycle. Because the driver has violated a safety law – making an illegal left turn – our firm can establish negligence from the start and focus on other aspects of developing the case.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Negligent Drivers
Every day, motorcyclists are injured in crashes caused by other drivers’ negligence. Some of the top examples of negligence that may cause injury or wrongful death to motorcycle operators include the following:
- Unsafe Lane Changing – Motorcycles often fit right into drivers’ blind spots due to their compact size. When drivers dart over into other lanes, they may crash right into motorcycles that they fail to see.
- Illegal Left Turns – Drivers should wait until the road is clear before making left turns. Unfortunately, they often fail to notice motorcyclists or misjudge how fast they are going. Motor vehicle drivers are more likely to notice an absence of other vehicles than the presence of a motorcycle, increasing the risk further.
- Rear-End Collisions – Motorcycles are often hit from behind at traffic lights and stop signs because motorists fail to notice them in time. Motorists have a duty to pay attention to the road, so this is a prime example of negligence behind the wheel.
- Car Door Opening – Motorcyclists often travel through the area between parked cars and stopped traffic. This area is known as the “death zone” because of the accidents that happen when car doors open into motorcyclists’ paths.
Distracted Driving: A Leading Cause of Motorcycle Accidents in Jupiter
In addition to the examples in the previous section, distracted driving is an increasingly pervasive example of negligence behind the wheel – negligence that causes injury and wrongful death to law-abiding motorcyclists all the time. Considered the “new drunk driving,” distracted driving caused more than 3,100 deaths and more than 431,000 injuries on America’s roads in a single year.
Due to their smaller size, motorcycles are at increased risk of being involved in accidents caused by distracted driving. Examples of distractions behind the wheel include the following:
- texting while driving
- eating or drinking
- reading GPS directions
- adjusting the radio or other media
- reaching for objects elsewhere in the vehicle
- personal grooming
- disciplining children in the backseat
With these points in mind, it’s crucial to have an experienced Jupiter motorcycle injury lawyer to assist you after being injured in an accident because of someone else’s negligence. Distracted driving can be challenging to prove, but the attorneys at Shiner Law Group have the experience needed to establish such negligence in motorcycle accident cases. Our firm can subpoena the other driver’s phone records to demonstrate if texting and driving occurred. They can also carefully examine the circumstances of the incident to identify factors establishing that distracted driving has occurred. Our lawyers work with accident reconstruction teams to identify the negligent behavior to blame for motorcycle accidents, making it easier to see claims through to successful resolutions.
Jupiter Motorcycle Accident Safety
Shiner Law Group advocates for safe motorcycle riding practices. Motorcyclists should always wear helmets approved by the Department of Transportation. Helmets have been shown to be 37% effective in preventing fatalities. Although motorcycles only account for 3% of registered vehicles, they are involved in 9% of fatal traffic accidents, according to the NHTSA. As states around the country repeal mandatory universal helmet laws, fewer people are wearing helmets while operating motorcycles. Helmets are not required in Florida, so this is a common issue around the Jupiter area.
Experienced Jupiter Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Even if negligence is easy to establish in a motorcycle accident claim, insurance companies will do anything possible to deny valid claims. Some of the tactics they employ include the following:
- Shifting Blame – Insurance companies do whatever they can to shift some or all of the blame for motorcycle accidents onto motorcyclists. A judge or jury can allocate a percentage of the negligence between the plaintiff and defendant, affecting the plaintiff’s ability to collect full compensation.
- Dragging Out the Process – Insurance companies often try to drag out the process when dealing with a motorcycle accident claim. They know that victims face serious financial hardships following such incidents and use tactics to delay settlements and verdicts.
- Taking Advantage of Misconceptions About Motorcycle Riders – Many times, insurance companies use common stereotypes about motorcyclists – for example, that they are reckless outlaws – to thwart victims’ ability to collect full compensation for their losses.
- Making Lowball Settlement Offers – Insurance companies often quickly make lowball settlement offers to victims when liability is clear. One reason for this is because it allows them to settle matters before the full scope of a victim’s injuries and medical expenses is made clear.
- Pressuring Victims to Sign Away Their Rights – After a motorcycle accident, the insurance company may ask you to sign a general release of liability as a condition of accepting a check from them. This waives your right to all claims, including ones you aren’t even aware of. They may also ask you to sign an authorization to release your medical and employment records to dig around for information they’re not entitled to receive.
The experienced motorcycle accident lawyers of Shiner Law Firm know all about these and other underhanded tactics used by insurance companies to avoid paying out on valid claims. Our attorneys will work to defend your rights, protect your privacy and ward off overly expansive discovery requests by insurance firms and others.
Finding the Best Jupiter Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me
When seeking legal representation following a Jupiter motorcycle accident, look for a law firm with a proven history of handling motorcycle injury cases. The right firm will also have received awards like being listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America. Shiner Law Firm has received numerous accolades, and we understand the unique needs of motorcycle accident victims. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, our firm can evaluate your claim and advise you of your rights and options. Contact us today by phone at (561) 777-7700 or a free online consultation request a free case review.