Did you lose a loved one as a result of an accident in Jupiter, FL? Our experienced Jupiter wrongful death lawyers at Shiner Law Group are ready to help fight for your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (561) 777-7700 to speak with an attorney for a 100% free consultation.
You may be entitled to seek compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and more. Contact our Jupiter, FL law offices to discuss the legal options that might be available to you following your loved ones wrongful death. The next steps are very important. Let Shiner Law Group help you with your wrongful death case today.
Table of Contents
Seeking A Wrongful Death Attorney in Jupiter For A Loved One?
Have you lost a loved one in an accident caused by someone’s negligent or intentional actions in Jupiter, FL? If so, you should hire an experienced Jupiter wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible to get compensation for your losses. Although filing a wrongful death lawsuit won’t bring back your loved one, it could compensate you for a variety of damages stemming from their death – and reduce the risk of the same thing happening again to another victim. In Jupiter, FL, the wrongful death attorneys of Shiner Law Group are ready to assist you during this traumatic time.
The aftermath of a loved one’s wrongful death leaves surviving relatives reeling. As difficult as this time may be, however, it’s vital to enlist effective legal representation as soon as you can. Depending on the circumstances of the case, you may be able to seek compensation for the loss of your loved one’s future income, medical bills, pain and suffering and more. Shiner Law Group can discuss your legal options with you to determine the best course of action.
Remember: The steps you take next are crucial. Contact the Jupiter wrongful death attorneys of Shiner Law Group right away via phone or online for a free evaluation of your case.
Have You Lost a Loved One to a Wrongful Death in Jupiter?
Losing a loved one suddenly because of the negligent or improper actions of another person or entity causes extreme emotional turmoil and distress. In the aftermath of the premature death of your spouse, parent, sibling or other loved one, several financial and emotional hardships arise. Since you’re understandably mourning your relative’s death, it isn’t easy to focus on things like filing deadlines and dealing with insurance companies. Fortunately, the wrongful death lawyers of Shiner Law Group are ready to ease these burdens for you.
The loss of your loved one’s income can wreak havoc on your standard of living. This turmoil is especially upsetting when your relative died because of another person’s negligence. A crucial part of pursuing a wrongful death claim is replacing that lost household income. It’s essential to file a wrongful death suit promptly not only to keep the household afloat but to stay within the statute of limitations for filing such cases.
The civil litigation process is vastly complex, and strict deadlines are involved. In Florida, you have two years from the date of the victim’s death to file this type of case. It’s easy to want to procrastinate as you grieve the loss of your loved one, but it’s crucial to get started as soon as you can. The wrongful death lawyers of Shiner Law Group work diligently to protect our clients’ interests by managing every aspect of their claims, including negotiating with insurance carriers and conducting thorough investigations.
Understanding Wrongful Death Cases in Jupiter
Section 768.19 of the Florida Statutes defines wrongful death as a loss of life due to a person or entity’s wrongful actions, negligence, breach of conduct or default. Wrongful death cases vary widely in how they occurred and other factors. Many incidents can cause the negligent death of an innocent victim, including workplace accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect, defective products and auto accidents.
In the confusion following the wrongful death of a loved one, it can be challenging to determine whether you’re entitled to compensation under the law. Don’t leave things to chance. Cover your bases and protect the rights of your lost loved one by enlisting the help of an experienced Jupiter wrongful death attorney right away.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Jupiter, FL
Under the Florida Wrongful Death Act, plaintiffs who are entitled to file wrongful death lawsuits fall into two categories: the decedent’s estate and the decedent’s survivors. The estate is entitled to file a claim for damages the decedent suffered. Types of damages that the decedent’s estate may recover include things that will be passed on to their family members via a will, a trust or through the law of intestate succession if no estate-planning instruments are available.
Damages for the estate in a Jupiter wrongful death suit are designed to compensate beneficiaries for losses incurred by the estate. Such losses typically include economic damages that the plaintiff would have been entitled to pursue in a personal injury lawsuit had they survived as well as burial and memorial expenses.
The second category of plaintiffs in wrongful death cases are the victim’s survivors. These survivors may include the wrongful death victim’s spouse, parents and children, with more damages allotted for children who are under the age of 25. Additional survivors may include adoptive siblings who are partially dependent on the decedent and other blood relatives.
In most cases, damages for survivors make up the most substantial portion of the amount that may be recovered in a Jupiter wrongful death lawsuit. These damages compensate family members for the losses they have suffered due to the wrongful death of their loved one. Examples of such damages include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost services and support
- Lost protection and support
- Medical bills
- A child’s loss of instruction, guidance and companionship
- Funeral and burial expenses, if paid for by surviving relatives
Survivors of Wrongful Death Victims in Jupiter
If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being a survivor of a Jupiter wrongful death victim, you may be able to recover damages as a beneficiary of the decedent’s estate and as a survivor of your loved one. To ensure that you receive all of the compensation that you are entitled to by law, it’s essential to enlist the help of an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Jupiter. Shiner Law Group is ready to assist you during this difficult time.
Elements of a Jupiter Wrongful Death Suit
Many kinds of negligent conduct can cause fatal injuries. For more than 15 years, the wrongful death attorneys of Shiner Law Group have been representing accident victims and their survivors. Our team has the legal acumen and proven track record needed to effectively represent the relatives who are left behind after the wrongful death of a loved one.
Our attorneys know how to navigate the legal system when filing and pursuing wrongful death suits. Through the years, we have handled cases involving accidents that have occurred for many reasons, including drunk drivers, negligent medical providers, fatigued truck drivers, defective products and more. Essentially, if your loved one perished because a person or entity failed to exercise reasonable care, you may be entitled to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit in Jupiter.
What to Expect When Dealing with a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Jupiter
At Shiner Law Group, we realize that losing a loved one because of another person’s negligence is one of the worst tragedies that someone can endure. Such deaths are always untimely, and they leave surviving relatives reeling.
We know that no one wants to be in the position to need a wrongful death attorney, and we have compassion for your situation. Our firm can’t bring back your loved one, but we can help pursue justice for them. By filing a Jupiter wrongful death lawsuit, our attorneys can help you reclaim your lost financial security and prevent the negligent party from causing harm to others in the future.
Here’s a quick rundown of the wrongful death claims process in Florida:
- Investigate the Claim – First, your wrongful death lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of the facts of your case.
- Negotiate with Insurance Companies – Insurance companies fight tooth and nail to avoid paying damages on claims – even in wrongful death cases. They have vast resources at their disposal and use them to undermine legitimate legal claims. Insurance carriers know that survivors often face significant financial hardship after losing a loved one. They use this knowledge to pressure survivors into settling for less than the full value of their claim. The attorneys at Shiner Law Group will deal with the insurance company on your behalf, using their in-depth understanding of such companies’ underhanded tactics to protect you and your loved one’s rights.
- Enlist a Network of Experts – Our lawyers often rely on expert testimony to handle a wrongful death lawsuit in Jupiter effectively. We have a vast network of experts spanning many industries and designations, and we will call on the appropriate ones to assist with your wrongful death claim. In the past, we’ve relied on security experts, healthcare experts and others to build the most substantial cases possible for our clients.
- Provide Effective Client Communication – Shiner Law Group knows how anxiety-provoking it is to deal with a wrongful death lawsuit, especially in the wake of the tragic loss of a loved one. We provide clear, effective communication every step of the way to alleviate this anxiety. Our team strives to respond to calls and emails on the same business day or the next one, and you can count on us to keep you apprised of the status of your lawsuit.
- Estimate the Claim’s Value – Drawing on our vast file of prior wrongful death and personal injury cases, our attorneys analyze subjective factors to arrive at an estimated value of your claim. We scour previous verdicts and settlements in comparable cases to arrive at the most accurate number possible. For things like the loss of future income, we may also enlist the help of economic experts on whom we’ve relied previously.
- Identify the Appropriate Defendants – In some cases, like a t-bone or side-impact car accident, determining the applicable defendant is easy. However, things aren’t always so cut and dry. Often, third parties may also be defendants in wrongful death lawsuits, including car component manufacturers, drivers’ employers, and vehicle manufacturers. Shiner Law Group knows how to effectively use the discovery process to identify all relevant defendants in Jupiter wrongful death cases.
The Process of Filing a Jupiter Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Most wrongful death cases are resolved through negotiated settlements and never make it to court. They typically settle within a year or two, but the process can sometimes take longer. It helps to understand the pre-trial process even if you retain a Jupiter wrongful death attorney. Here’s what to expect:
- Pre-Trial Research and Investigation – Shiner Law Group conducts rigorous research long before a wrongful death case reaches trial. We interview family members and others who knew the victim and enlist the help of various experts to analyze the situation. If the defendant has insurance coverage, our lawyers will inform the insurance company that we represent the estate and survivors to obtain a copy of the policy, which we then review carefully.
- Conduct Legal Research – Our team conducts extensive legal research to develop effective wrongful death lawsuits. The Florida wrongful death statute is just a jumping-off point. Our attorneys also study previous cases using extensive legal experience and training to develop compelling factual and legal arguments.
- Pre-Lawsuit Negotiations with Insurance Companies – Shiner Law Group creates a demand package for the defendant’s insurance carrier. When liability is clear, an early settlement may be reached.
- Commencement of Wrongful Death Lawsuit – If your case isn’t settled early, our wrongful death lawyers will file a complaint on your behalf in court. The defendant then has a specific period to file an “answer” or a motion to dismiss.
- Discovery Process – Shiner Law Group knows how to use the discovery process to impact the outcome of Jupiter wrongful death lawsuits positively. We rely on discovery tools like depositions, interrogations, requests for admission and requests for production of documents to develop the strongest case possible.
Jupiter Wrongful Death Lawsuits
For a wrongful death claim to be successful in Florida, the plaintiff must prove several points, including the following:
- Demonstrate that the accused party had a duty of care
- Demonstrate how the defendant breached their applicable duty of care
- Prove that the defendant’s negligence caused the fatal injury; in other words, the victim wouldn’t have died if not for the defendant’s actions
- Prove all damages the plaintiff is seeking to recover
Speak with a Jupiter Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
When seeking a wrongful death lawyer in Jupiter, FL, it’s crucial to enlist the help of a firm with a proven track record for handling such cases. Shiner Law Group has an experienced legal team of attorneys who have represented plaintiffs in all types of wrongful death cases over more than 15 years. Therefore, if your loved one has died in an accident that occurred because of someone’s negligent or intentional behavior, you should contact Shiner Law Group as soon as possible. Call us at (561) 777-7700 or fill out our online consultation request to schedule your free case review today.