Who could forget when Joey from Friends got his head stuck in the Turkey at Thanksgiving?!
While everyone laughed at his antics, it is not uncommon for accidents to happen over the holidays. Whether you are going to brave the traffic or cook the meal, there are a number of precautions you can take so that the only things you have to worry about are which team will win the football game and what to buy the next day amid the Black Friday sales.
If you are traveling for the holiday, before you leave for the festivities, be sure to:
- Make sure your car is in proper working order. Be sure all of the fluids are topped off, the lights and brakes work, and tires are filled properly. Also be sure to check your route for any major detours. A GPS app on your phone can not only help you find the best way to go, it can also assist you in getting around both roadwork and crashes.
- Protect your home from thieves. Do not post on social media that you have left town. Also, be sure to set timers so that lights go on and off as usual. If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, have someone come check on your home periodically. Also, be sure to put a hold on your mail and newspaper delivery as a buildup in the mailbox is a sure sign that no one is home.
- Always obey the rules of the road, including speed limits and traffic signs.
If you are the one lucky enough to be like Roseanne and “stuff breadcrumbs up a turkey,” there are a number of steps you can take to ensure everyone is safe:
- Set a timer for the bird and all of the trimmings. Just do not forget to check on the food periodically and turn off all appliances when they are not in use.
- NEVER put frozen meat into hot oil!
- Be sure to keep surfaces clean from grease and clutter.
- Always keep an eye on any children that are in your home.
- Food should be cooked and stored at the proper temperatures.
By taking the above precautions, you will make it easier to avoid car breakdowns, getting lost, and getting into a car accident, as well as home break-ins if you are out of town.
These steps can also help you to avoid fires, food poisoning, and other mishaps that tend to occur in greater numbers when people gather to eat together. These include bumps, bruises, burns, broken bones, sprains, strains, and choking, just to name a few.
The Shiner Law Group homes that you have a safe, accident free Thanksgiving. However, if you or a loved one is injured while celebrating or at any other time of the year, contact a personal injury lawyer at our firm as soon as possible.
Keep you and your family and friends safe this Thanksgiving. If you or someone you love been injured because of the negligent, reckless, or intentional conduct of another? Call us at (561) 777-7700 or contact us online for a free case review. The Shiner Law Group represents personal injury and wrongful death victims in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Lake Worth, West Palm Beach, and the surrounding cities.