WEST PALM BEACH BURN INJURY LAWYERS
Were You Injured in a Burn Accident in West Palm Beach
There is no denying that at some point in your life, you may be faced with a situation that causes you to be injured and unwell. In many common cases this involves burns and whether it is an accident or an injury that you get going about your normal day to day life, it can stop you in your tracks. What we often don’t realize is that an accident or injury that you get a burn can often mean that you can not work for a period of time as you recover.
The issue many face is the time in recovery, the lack of earning and loss of wages, which can then cause other issues in their lives such as not being able to pay the bills, pay medical bills and can even threaten your job, your home, your relationships and livinghood. It is the aftermath that people need to be more aware of, and this is why it may be worth speaking with a burn injury lawyer to find out if you have a case that can be filled and enable you to gain some compensation for the injuries that you have been subject to. With that in mind, here is a bit of background as to what a burn injury actually is, the liability aspects and what you need to do if you want a legal representative on your side.
Causes of burn accidents and injuries
There are many different ways that you can find yourself in a situation where you have an injury that is a burn and an accident that you have been through that has resulted in personal injury. The causes can vary from case to case.
Work related injuries
You may find that you are in a working environment that requires you to work with tools, machines and even chemicals that could potentially cause you an injury if not handled correctly. Accidents in the workplace can be extremely common. This can be down to negligence when it comes to health and safety policies being put in place by the employer. There may not have been as many regular risk assessments done, or simply the issue can be accidental where a tool or a machine malfunction.
Personal injuries in the home
Another place that you can find that you receive a burn injury is in the home. This can be more common with people unaware of temperatures of water or finding themselves exposed to a substance that can cause a burn to the skin. Even piping hot food or drink that gets spilled onto you can cause a burn injury that can be very painful and need treatment straight away.
Burns can also be acquired as you live your day to day life. We have mentioned work related injuries and also personal related injuries but you may also want to be more aware of the causes of the actual burn injury as well, which are:
- Fire – This is one of the most common ones and we can be exposed to fire in many different circumstances.
- Hot liquid or steam – This is another common way that we can become injured through a burn and we are exposed to hot liquid and steam on a daily basis.
- Hot metal, glass or other objects – An example of materials that can cause burns and injury.
- Electrical currents – Electrical currents can cause injury. Many people may be exposed to things like this in their workplace.
- Radiation, such as that from X-rays – This could be caused through a routine check or because you work in the field.
- Sunlight or other sources of ultraviolet radiation, such as a tanning bed – Would you believe that the sun can be a huge issue when it comes to burn injuries.
- Chemicals such as strong acids, lye, paint thinner or gasoline – The likelihood is that you are more exposed to these things when either taking on repairs or in the workplace.
- Abuse – Unfortunately there can be times in your life where you are in an abusive relationship and burns can often be a form of abuse in many different ways.
Types of burn injuries
Burn symptoms vary depending on how deep the skin damage is. It can take a day or two for the signs and symptoms of a severe burn to develop. There are three different types of burn injuries all with varying severity when it comes to the treatment and recovery aspect:
- 1st-degree burn. This minor burn affects only the outer layer of the skin (epidermis). It may cause redness and pain. This is one of the most common types of burn injury.
- 2nd-degree burn. This type of burn affects both the epidermis and the second layer of skin (dermis). It may cause swelling and red, white or splotchy skin. Blisters may develop, and pain can be severe. Deep second-degree burns can cause scarring. This can be very severe.
- 3rd-degree burn. This burn reaches the fat layer beneath the skin. Burned areas may be black, brown or white. The skin may look leathery. Third-degree burns can destroy nerves, causing numbness. This is the most severe type of burn injury that you can experience.
Liability for burn accidents and injuries
The liability for the burn accidents and injuries that you have can vary from person to person and is taken on a case by case basis. It is important to understand that it has much to do with the circumstances surrounding the burn injury as well as the actual injury that you have got. This is when a burn injury lawyer can best advise you on the next steps that you can take when it comes to your case and filing a complaint. Some people can often be a little fearful of pursuing a claim, because the liability may be within the workplace and it is often a situation that you don’t want to change. However, many businesses and public places will have insurances in place that will angle such claims to take place.
Filing a claim for a burn accident
There are different laws that govern the process but the main steps can remain the same when it comes to filing a claim for a burn accident. You will start by making contact with the place where you obtained the burn injury. This might be your workplace or another business or public area. You will also need to provide proof of what happened, such as witness reports, photographic evidence of the injury, and also pictures and statements that backup the version of events that you are trying to relay. A great tip is to also ensure that you keep copies of this so that you can refer back to certain documents if any are brought into questions during the filing process. A burn injury lawyer will be best to advise you on the next steps.
Hiring a burn injury lawyer
Shiner Law Group is a law firm comprised of Florida licensed attorneys who represent injured people and those who have suffered losses as a result of someone else’s carelessness or actions. They can specialise in a burn injury and offer the best possible advice.
Injuries resulting from an accident will impact all areas of a person’s life. The attorneys at our Firm have years of experience and knowledge in helping accident victims recover much needed financial compensation. If you suffer from an injury that was caused by someone else’s negligence then you need attorneys that focus on helping people recover.
Our award-winning personal injury law firm has been successfully fighting on behalf of Floridians who have been injured in damaging circumstances. All accident victims deserve to have their rights upheld and be fairly compensated when injured. At Shiner Law Group we believe that you should be able to live your life uninterrupted. Let our attorneys fight for you!
You can easily get in touch with us when it comes to seeing whether you have a case with the injury and accident that you have been through.
Frequently asked burn injury questions
What if it happened in a place of work where I want to continue working?
This is always going to be an emotional process to go through, but the best advice is to remember that the workplace or employer should of had processes in place and are likely able to prove that. You also need to be mindful that there are always going to be insurances and other procedures in place to cover the business, so they are likely to expect that these things will happen in time.
How long does the process take?
This can depend on the severity of the claim and also what is involved when it comes to gaining the result you are after. Some cases are clear and others will require extra work and evidence which can take time. If you are unsure then ask your Burn injury lawyer for some guidance.
If you or someone you love has been injured because of the negligent, reckless, or intentional conduct of another then call us at (561) 777-7700 or contact us for a free case evaluation.