Table of Contents
1. Has a loved one been the victim of nursing abuse in West Palm Beach?
2. Experienced West Palm Beach Nursing Abuse Lawyers Seeking Recoveries
3. West Palm Beach Nursing Home Neglect
4. Warning Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect in West Palm Beach
5. How a West Palm Beach Nursing Abuse Attorney Can Help
6. Speaking with a West Palm Beach Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me
Has a loved one been the victim of nursing abuse in West Palm Beach?
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), incidents of nursing home abuse and neglect, despite the best precautions, affect as many as 30% of all nursing home facilities.
At the Shiner Law Group, our nursing home abuse attorneys have a demonstrated record of recovering significant financial compensation for nursing home residents and their families who have been abused, suffered malpractice in skilled nursing facilities, or had a wrongful death as a result of negligence.
Experienced West Palm Beach Nursing Abuse Lawyers Seeking Recoveries
With over 15 years’ experience serving the West Palm Beach community, we strive to assist victims with their personal injury claims and aim to prevent nursing homes from engaging in substandard care.
Nursing home abuse assumes many forms and can be difficult to litigate, but our team of West Palm Beach personal injury attorneys is nevertheless dedicated to protecting vulnerable seniors and holding those who inflict physical and emotional harm responsible.
West Palm Beach Nursing Home Neglect
Nursing home personnel may dispute personal injury claims by attributing physical or mental deterioration to the aging process or preexisting health conditions; however, most cases of abuse are the product of inadequate training, insufficient staffing, negligent hiring, or other cost containment measures, which are grounds for a nursing home abuse claim.
Common types of resident mistreatment include, but are not limited to:
- Physical abuse
- Improper drug usage
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
- Emotional abuse
Warning Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect in West Palm Beach
Although abuse might constitute the most egregious form of maltreatment, serious neglect can ultimately be life threatening. When a loved one moves into a nursing home, the facility is obligated to meet his/her basic medical and social needs; however, residents may be limited in their ability to communicate signs of neglect and/or abuse (sometimes out of fear of retribution).
Detecting signs early on is a significant step in building a nursing home abuse claim. While hardly an exhaustive list, family members should look for the following signs:
- Pressure ulcers (bed sores)
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss
- Unusual changes in behavior or emotional withdrawal
- Lack of personal hygiene, such as soiled clothes or body odor
- Unexplained bruises, bleeding, abrasions, diseases, or infections
- Fall-related injuries
- Muted demeanor around caretakers
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Changes in the elder’s will or power of attorney
- Sudden financial hardship or bills left unpaid
If you detect any of these signs, take your loved one to a safe environment to inquire further and seek immediate legal counsel. Record detailed accounts and all relevant information associated with the incident.
How a West Palm Beach Nursing Abuse Attorney Can Help
An increase in nursing home lawsuits in recent years has prompted facilities to anticipate—and prepare for—litigation, meaning facilities may have established practices to mitigate the risk of liability (falsifying records, overstaffing during state inspections, etc.). Successfully executing a nursing home abuse claim involves complex legal maneuvering that requires an experienced attorney to represent the best interests of an abused or neglected nursing home resident.
Our West Palm Beach nursing home abuse attorneys have proven experience with the nursing home industry’s practices, and we have provided a few examples in which our team can help:
- Investigate the improper conduct
- Evaluate potential settlements
- Provide knowledge of nursing home regulations and standard industry practices
- Build a compelling case by working with a network of relevant experts
- Navigate insurance company traps
- Take on nursing home chains
A nursing home and/or its employees can be held liable for any damages resulting from negligence, including, but not limited to, medical bills, disability, pain and suffering, or disfigurement.
At the Shiner Law Group, we are committed to ensuring your rights—and your loved one’s—are protected, and we are prepared to bring even the largest nursing home chains to court.
Speaking with a West Palm Beach Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me
If you or someone you love has died because of the negligent, reckless or intentional conduct of another, we welcome you to contact our experienced legal team so that we can evaluate your claim and advise you of your rights and options. We are committed to helping victims recover the compensation they need to move past injuries or loss, so call us 24/7 at 561-777-7700 or online for a free case review to see how we can help.