Were you recently injured in a motorcycle accident in Vero Beach, FL? Our experienced Vero Beach motorcycle accident lawyers at Shiner Law Group are ready to help fight for your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (772) 777-7700 to speak with an attorney for a 100% free consultation.
You may be entitled to seek compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and more. Contact our Vero Beach, FL law offices to discuss the legal options that might be available to you following your motorcycle accident. The next steps are very important. Let Shiner Law Group help you with your motorcycle accident case today.
Table of Contents
Were You Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Vero Beach?
Were you or your loved one involved in a motorcycle accident in Vero Beach? It’s important that you contact a motorcycle accident attorney immediately to get legal advice on your rights.
When it comes to these kinds of accidents, no matter how careful you are, it’s impossible to control the choices of other motorists. And unfortunately, motorcycle riders are more vulnerable compared to other drivers because they have minimal protection from the impact of an accident. This is why most motorcycle crashes are usually fatal and often result in wrongful death.
Even though Vero Beach isn’t a large city, there have been several serious motorcycle accidents. In fact, according to data from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), in 2019, there were more than 8800 motorcycle accidents in Florida. 521 of them resulted in death, while over 5200 of them resulted in serious and traumatic injuries.
Our Vero Beach motorcycle attorneys have helped multiple motorcycle riders that have been involved in crashes. We understand how overwhelming the entire process can be, which is why we handle all legal hurdles and insurance company negotiations for you.
You don’t have to go through this alone, and Shiner Law Group is here to make sure that justice is served, and your rights are upheld.
Step by Step Guide on What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Vero Beach
Motorcycle riders are rarely respected on the roads, and most of the time, when accidents occur, there’s an unfair bias towards them. These experiences are daunting, but our experienced Vero Beach motorcycle attorneys are committed to the highest legal standards. We focus on handling the legal aspects so that you can get your life back on track within the shortest time possible.
To help us get the best compensation for you, there are several steps you should take immediately after the accident. First, do not panic. We understand how difficult it is to remain calm after an accident, but you’ll need your wits. You should also remain at the accident scene because under Florida’s Statute 316.06, it’s a criminal offense to flee an accident site without conducting your statutory duties.
Here’s a step by step guide on what you should do:
- Seek medical help and contact 911 if the other parties are injured.
- Collect the relevant details: exchange information with the other people involved in the accident. Some of the information you should collect include; license information, insurance details, official names, contact information, etc. If possible, you should also collect pictorial and video evidence of the damages sustained as well as eyewitness accounts.
- Contact the authorities: call the police as soon as you contact 911. Ensure they create a report of your motorcycle’s condition if it’s damaged, as this will be critical when it comes to collecting compensation. The police report is also a key piece of evidence that we will reference in court.
- Reach out to a Vero Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer: don’t talk to the insurance adjusters or the other party’s lawyers without an attorney present. They may manipulate any information you give them in their favor. So, ensure all communication goes through your attorney.
How Can a Vero Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help You?
Motorcycle accidents are often complex, and a specialized attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve. You may assume that you don’t need a motorcycle accident attorney, but we strongly recommend that you contact one so that they can help you understand your rights.
Shiner Law Group has over 15 years of experience dealing with personal injury lawsuits, and our motorcycle accident attorneys are aware of the bias and problems that motorcycle riders face. We are also aware of the tactics that the insurance companies employ to get you to settle for a lower sum. This is why we aggressively fight for your rights by going beyond the accident reports and conducting our own evaluations to collect the relevant evidence.
What Are the Main Causes of Vero Beach Motorcycle Accidents
The most common causes of Vero beach motorcycle accidents include;
- Distracted drivers: motorists should always be focused while on the road. Any small mistake could result in a fatal accident.
- Defective parts: sometimes, it is not the fault of the motorcycle rider or the other parties involved in the accident but the manufacturer whose products are defective.
- Overspeeding: this is one of the leading causes of most accidents and occurs when one motorist is driving above the set speed limits. These types of crashes are often fatal.
- Impaired driving: driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal, but the number of drunk drivers on the road is astonishing. In Vero Beach, for example, due to a large number of tourists and large gatherings, most motorcycle accidents are a result of intoxicated drivers.
- Failure to see motorists: there are motorcycle accidents that occur because the other motorists couldn’t spot the rider. This is especially true when the other driver is distracted.
- Severe head injuries
- Brain damage
- Broken bones and fractures
- Loss of appendages
- Wrongful death
- Protecting you against attempts to shift fault: the insurance company will likely try to prove that you caused the accident, but our motorcycle accident attorneys will prove that the other party was at fault.
- Fighting biases against motorcycle riders: when motorcycle crashes happen, there’s a misconception that the rider is almost always at fault. Our injury lawyers are committed to dispelling these biases that could shape the perceptions of witnesses or jurors.
- Fast-tracking the injury claim: motorcycle accidents often result in financial hardships due to the accumulative medical bills and the days missed from work. Our attorneys push your injury case forward so that you can receive compensation as soon as possible.
How Can You Prevent Severe Injuries in Vero Beach Motorcycle Accidents?
At Shiner Law Group, we strongly advocate for safe driving practices. Most motorcycle accidents are usually fatal, but you can reduce the impact of the crash by wearing a helmet.
Motorcycles are only about 3% of all registered vehicles, but they are responsible for around 9% of all fatalities caused by traffic accidents. Most of the time, head injuries are the most common types of injuries caused by motorcycle crashes. This is why we cannot overstate the importance of always riding with your helmet on. Unfortunately, few people are wearing helmets nowadays, even though they are 37% effective in preventing head injuries.
Make sure you also follow the set traffic rules and refrain from overspeeding. Yes, there’s a thrill that comes from cruising on the highway at top speeds, but your safety and that of other motorists should always come first. Avoid riding while drunk or recklessly changing lanes and only transverse between vehicles that leave adequate spaces between them.
The most common types of injuries caused by motorcycle crashes include;
How to File a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Vero Beach
To file a Vero Beach motorcycle accident, make sure you contact an experienced attorney. They will help you challenge insurance companies and get the compensation you deserve. If your motorcycle accident was caused by a negligent driver, here are more ways a lawyer can help;
We strongly recommend that you divert all calls regarding the accident to our lawyers to avoid unintentionally compromising the case. You should also refrain from signing any documents that haven’t been authorized by the attorney.
Vero Beach Motorcycle Accident FAQs
1. What is the statute of limitations for my Vero Beach motorcycle accident?
The statute of limitations for motorcycle accidents caused by negligence in Florida is 4 years. If you fail to file a claim within this period, your case will be dismissed in court. This is why we recommend that you reach out to a Vero Beach motorcycle attorney as soon as possible.
2. What kind of compensation can I get from a motorcycle accident?
There are 3 main types of damages that you can be awarded;
- Economic damages: this is compensation for all the expenses you incur due to the accident. It includes medical expenses, costs of assistive devices, ambulance costs, etc.
- Non-economic damages: this is compensation for the losses that can’t be quantified in monetary terms. These damages cover loss of enjoyment, loss of consortium, pain, and suffering, etc.
- Punitive damages: These damages are only awarded if it’s established that the motorcycle crash was caused by gross negligence by the other motorist. Most of the time, punitive damages are awarded on top of economic and non-economic damages to teach the responsible party a lesson.
3. Can I file a motorcycle accident claim even though I wasn’t wearing a helmet?
Yes. Failing to wear a helmet does not cause accidents in any way, so the responsible party should be held liable. In addition to this, in Florida, motorcycle riders above 21 years aren’t required to wear a helmet while riding.
Seek Legal Help From a Vero Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today!
Dealing with the legal complexities of a Vero Beach motorcycle accident can be overwhelming. This is especially true if you’ve sustained serious injuries or have lost a loved one. You don’t have to navigate the legal hurdles alone. Shiners Law Group is here to offer you guidance throughout the legal process and handle all the settlement negotiations for you.
Let us help you fight for justice. Contact our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys today for a free consultation!